Sketches

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Tower bridge, London

This is it, the only drawing left from a fine weekend in London. I made this one in the large Moleskine (which I stacked in our suitcase, which was not stolen).
We were staying in the (excellent) hotel "the Tower", located adjacent to the Tower Bridge. For a few hours we even had a room with a view towards the bridge! This view was drawn and painted from the 1st floor bar, while resting our tired feet and enjoying a nice pint of Guinness.
I should add that I drew this image late in the evening. As the bridge was fully lighted I was able to draw it as if it was daylight. I considered drawing it as if by night, but the bar was dimly lit and you need good light to paint an acceptable night scene. Believe me, I tried.

5 comments:

Michael Lukyniuk said...

Very nice touch. You've handled the shading effectively.

Many many years ago, I stood on Tower Bridge at sunset and marvelled at the beauty of the river and cityscape but the lights weren't very strong back in those days!

Anonymous said...

Great sketch, especially considering you were so tired. One of my favorite things to do is to draw while enjoying a good beer. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

I love your sketch! Very nice!! I was enjoying it, and then read your comments. So sorry about being robbed!...and losing art supplies that work for you! BJR

LuTi said...

Nice drawing, indeed. After seeing your sketch : I want to go to London , too!

Rene Fijten said...

Thanks Michael, I also feel that the bridge was less brigtly lit in the past. And the river view is fantastic, we saw it out of our hotel window.
Bill, I guess a good beer takes the weight off the feet and speeds up the pens!
Anonym: Thanks for your visit.
Ludek, you should go, it's a mixed city, but that makes it even more interesting.